I've gotten a few request from people on how to start playing Warhammer Quest. I'm not 100% sure what exactly these requests are looking for but today's Blog Post is an attempt at fulfilling that request.
Warhammer Quest 1995 is the successor to the game Advanced Hero Quest. It takes Games Workshop's fantasy world of Warhammer and puts it into a self building dungeon survival board game. I liken it to the video game Diablo or Diablo II, but as a board game. Random dungeons, random enemies, & random treasure. It can be ran like Dungeons & Dragons, with a Dungeon Master who writes specific adventures and recurring enemies, and long drawn out interconnected stories. Though I prefer to play it with no DM, just a game that assembles it's own adventures and hi-jinks.
The original box came with 89 Monster Models, 4 heroes, 10 Doorways for connecting dungeon tiles, 22 Dungeon Tiles, and 3 rule books.
The game had two mini expansions. Lair of the Orc Lord & Catacombs of Terror.
These added more monster models, more doorways, & dungeon tiles.
Then through smaller releases either in individual boxes or issues of White Dwarf magazine we got more tiles, monsters, and playable classes.
Games Workshop has re-released the game with a complete re-write of rules and brand new miniature with several expansions. The first of these being Warhammer Quest Silver Tower and the most resent being Warhammer Quest Darkwater. I'm not a huge fan of these. They have too much of Age of Sigmar feel for me, though the miniatures are gorgeous.
I feel the 1995 version is superior but that might just be nostalgia talking.
So you want to get your own Warhammer Quest 1995 going? Where do you start?
You have 3 options (which you can combine as you see fit). Original, proxies, and make your own.
The original parts are all available on ebay and other old board game sources. A complete set with all expansions and classes, I'm sure is north of $700 (I'm actually not sure, I've not investigated this anytime recently). That $700 only has around 100 of the nearly 600 monsters needed to play through level 10.
You could use newer miniature that are easier to get a hold of, or miniatures that are cheaper from other companies than Games Workshop (Ral Partha & Kings of War come to mind). I've seen some people print off Standees instead of using miniatures (this is a very cost and space effective option).
![]() |
| These are standees, 2D printed versions held up by the base. |
Then there is what I did, I 3D printed scans I found of the original miniatures. Since I was printing all the miniatures I also scaled them down (66% of original size), so the game would take up less space on the kitchen table and when I stored it away. I also put tiny magnets in the base of each monster so I could put them on cookie sheets for easier storage.
The monster list I use for the primary game needs 558 monsters (we added a few things, took away a few). Then for Heroes, summons, and allies needed 72 models. For a total of 630 miniatures.
You don't have to have Doorways, but I like the esthetic of using them. Mine are 3D printed, I got the STL for my Doorways along with many of my Proxies from Tonoborus on Cults3d.com
Then you need a Dungeon Deck. This is how you randomize the dungeons. You have a deck that contains a card for each dungeon tile, then each mission indicates a number of random cards to add to the deck, with instructions to put specific cards in specific places with in the dungeon deck. Each time you explore a new doorway, you flip over the top card, that card indicates which dungeon tile to add to the doorway you just explored. Probably the best way to get dungeon cards is to just print your own, especially if you want to add any non-original expansions. This way all cards are the same size and quality.
The game has two play modes for treasure and monster encounters. The base mode is a deck of cards that each time an encounter happens flip top card of deck to show what kind of monsters are encountered. This base mode really only works for the first 2-3 levels. The advanced mode is you roll for monster on a Monster Encounter Tables. Each Level 1-10 has its own table of monster options getting more dangerous the higher the level. I prefer the advanced mode. It has way more variety and scales with the party as the heroes get more powerful. Treasure is also has two modes, decks of treasure or Treasure Tables. I again prefer the Advanced mode of tables for the variety.
Next the game came with 3 rule books; Adventure Book, Rule Book, and Roleplay Book. These can be found online as PDFs. You could either access them with phones//computers or print them off. Those with a hatred for their wallet could buy the books on ebay.
Similar to the rule books there are Class Books, these came with the expansion classes. They exist online, so digital, printed, or purchase originals.
Table space is a big need for this game. As a dungeon spreads out it can easily take over a normal 6 foot table.
So to play Warhammer Quest 1995 you need:
600+ miniatures (or standees) though you can start playing with around 80 minis
3 Rule books ( Adventure, Role-play, and Rule Book)
45 Original tiles (including mini expansions & White Dwarf stuff)
14-18 Doorways (optional)
Event Deck (optional, could just use Monster Encounter & Event Tables)
Treasure Deck (optional, could just use Treasure Tables)
A Large Kitchen Table
Dice, pencils, and Paper
And the hardest part: 3 friends who can show up regularly.
That is the base game.
What I've been calling Black Hills Warhammer Quest ( I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota) has roughly 4 times as much content as the original game. This is all stuff my buddy "Bob" and I have added. Some parts (mostly the art assets) were borrowed from other sources.
Mini Expansions
We added 4 mini expansions that play in the main stuff above (Chaos Dwarf Expansion, Traps Expansion, Dark Elf Expansion, and Twisted Tunnels Expansion). These add another 26 dungeon tiles and dungeon cards for more variety in each dungeon. It also adds another 18 normal adventures to the original 48 adventures.
Large Expansions
We added 2 Large Expansions. Lustria & Norsca. These have there own separate Dungeon Decks, 96 Adventures, travel hazards, monster encounter tables, & treasure tables.
Medium Expansions
We added 2 medium expansions. Sewers & Lost Caverns. While in Old World (original game), Lustria, or Norsca you may find Sewer or Lost Cavern adventures. These have there own separate Dungeon Decks, 42 Adventures, Monster Encounter tables, and Treasure Tables.
Starting Quests. Old World, Lustria, Norsca, & Sewer each get 6 Starting Quests that are a little easier for starting parties.
Dangerous Quests. Old World, Lustria, & Norsca, get 6 Dangerous Quests that are extra tough adventures, that usually have extra pay out if you can defeat them.
Epic Quests. Old World, Lustria, Norsca, Sewers, & Lost Caverns each have 10 Epic Quests. Each zone has one for each Battle level 1-10. These are more dangerous then normal adventure and have better pay out.
Mythic Treasure tables for Old World, Lustria, Norsca, & Sewers. These items can only be gained as rewards for completing Epics or Dangerous Quests.
Side Quests for a Old World, Lustria, and Norsca. These are easier missions for early levels, but they don't pay out Objective Room treasures like normal missions.
Themed Monster Encounter Tables
To add more variety to monsters fought we added Themed Monster Encounter Tables. We have ones for Undead, Skaven, Chaos Dwarves, Dark Elves, Orcs & Goblins (together on one table), Daemons, Chaos Beastmen, Chaos General, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen, & Miscellaneous Monsters. This adds over 600 more monsters.
To make the game convenient to play I've added Monster Cards, Monster Equipment Cards, & Monster Spell Books.
For the players I've made my own Class Booklets, Class Spell Books, Treasure Item cards, Life Counters, & custom Character Sheet-folder.
For Town I've made a custom Settlement Map and Settlement Book.
For ease of play I have an Events book. It contains Traps Table, Dungeon Events Table, Combat Events Table, Travel Hazards Table, Settlement Events Table, & Harbor Events Tables all in one book.
Well I hope this was useful for those who were asking. Don't be afraid to send me messages, I may not always get back to you quickly, but I will almost always help out another dungeon diver.
That's all for this post, may your lantern always stay lit.
DeMagic Tutor out.







No comments:
Post a Comment